Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jammy Doughnut Muffins for AlphaBakes

The recipe for these Jammy Doughnut Muffins promises a tasty doughnut treat but without the deep frying! These certainly had all the classic elements of a doughnut with a lovely jammy centre and the sugary top, I even tried to eat one without licking my lips...I didn't manage it! ;-)
 The mixture has sunflower oil instead of butter and it comes together almost like a dough.
To get the jammy centre there's no need to inject the jam a la the Great British Bake Off. You just need to half fill the muffin case with batter and then add a teaspoon of jam before covering over with the remaining mixture.
The recipe stated that it would make 6 muffins but I actually ended up with 10, so I filled half with Wild Strawberry jam and half with blackcurrant jam.
To finish the muffins were dipped in melted butter and then rolled in granulated sugar. This gave a lovely sugary, crunchy top which was definitely the best part of eating these muffins!
These jammy doughnut muffins definitely tasted doughnut like but they didn't quite hit the spot as a doughnut would. I would make these again but a real doughnut would win out every time.
The letter of the month for November's Alpha Bakes is J, so I'm entering these Jammy Doughnut Muffins. AlphaBakes is hosted alternately by Ros at The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline over at Caroline Makes.
Ingredients

75g sunflower oil
150g plain yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
275g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicar of soda
Pinch of salt
100g granulated sugar
75g jam ( I used blackcurrant and strawberry - but not together ;-)

Topping

25g unsalted butter, melted
50g granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan/gas 5.

Measure out the wet ingredients into a bowl - oil, yogurt, vanilla extract and eggs and beat together.

In a seperate bowl sift in the flour, bicarb of soda, salt and sugar and mix. Carefullly pour the wet ingredients into this dry mix and quickly stir until just combined. It will come together into a slightly doughy texture.

Put a tablespoon or so of the batter into each muffin case and make a little bit of a well in each. Spoon a teaspoon of jam into each one before covering with the rest of the mixture. The recipe suggested that it would make 6 muffins, however I seemed to have enough mixture for 10!

Bake the muffins in the oven for 18-20 minutes until well risen and golden. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before finishing with the topping.

To give it that final jammy doughnut touch, melt the butter in a saucepan and then either brush the top of each muffin or dip each one in before rolling in the 25g of granulated sugar. I put my sugar on a plate for rolling. Leave to cool and then enjoy!

* Adapted from Easy Cakes & Cookies

11 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, nom, nom nom x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so tasty! There's something about rolling anything in granulated sugar that makes me think of doughnuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look so pretty these muffins laura. Beautiful. I want them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jammy Doughnut Muffins were one of my first posts on my blog,and I have made them quite a few times since too. These look fab and I am sure they taste amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made a similar recipe too and I still salivate about these muffins several months later. I've got half a jar of raspberry jam at the back of the cupboard so you've made me think I should make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Laura these look brilliant! I love the idea of a doughnut but in muffin form. The cases are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now these look really extra special. I live that they're dipped in melted butter. That must go some way to making them taste a little doughnutty. Lovely stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing, definitely top of my 'must-bake' list for this weekend. Love the fact the jam is not injected either, this way's much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love a doughnut but would never make them as I wouldn't be able to deep fry them,These make a perfect alternative and I lone the crunchy sugar topping. Great looking jammy doughnutty muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so delicious! I have had 'duffins' a few times before at bakeries in London but never thought about making them at home! Yours turned out so great I may have to rethink that! and what a great alphabake!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!