Thursday, November 8, 2012

How to Make Chocolate Leaves...

I recently made a Chocolate Pumpkin Cake which had a striking orange frosting...it did however still look a little plain when it was finished. So I decided to add an Autumnal touch by making some chocolate leaves.
Chocolate leaves were actually a lot easier to make than I thought. I used rose leaves which have a nice veining to them and are also non-toxic. Other popular leaves for this use are bay, lemon or camellia.
The first job is to thoroughly wash the leaves. I used a little soapy water and then patted the leaves dry using kitchen towel. Some other methods suggest you can just wipe your leaves with a damp kitchen cloth.
I then melted down my chocolates - white, milk and dark in separate bowls on top of simmering saucepans of water. You could also use a microwave for this. I'm not a chocolate expert and did not temper my chocolate...I simply melted it and it worked for me.

Next take a brush designed for cake decorating or use with edible products...or a pastry brush and liberally cover the BACK of each leaf with chocolate. The easiest way to do this is by picking each leaf up individually by the stem...it gets rather messy if you leave the leaf on the baking paper as you can see below...it took me a little while to realise this! By painting the back of the leaf it gives a more defined vein pattern. Once the leaf is painted place it on a baking tray covered in baking paper.
Put a good coating of chocolate on the leaf but take care not to get it on the other side as this makes it a lot more difficult to peel the leaf away when the chocolate is set. Once all the leaves are coated leave to set. I actually put mine in the feezer briefly...again this is probably frowned upon but it worked for me...but don't quote me on it!
When the chocolate is set peel away the leaves and discard. You may need to do this fairly quickly as I found a few of the leaves melted as I held on to them.
Finally, if you wish to add a final glamorous touch to your leaves then you can add a little gold edible lustre dust or spary. This sets the leaves off really well if placed on a chocolate cake as they then stand out against the brown.
Interestingly after I'd made my leaves I also found instructions for chocolate leaves in the latest Great British Bake Off book 'Showstoppers'. It's on p.275 and the book also provides information on tempering chocolate. These were pretty easy to make and provide a really pretty decoration. I'll definitely make them again in the future!

12 comments:

  1. Lovely I really enjoy making these. I get a real sense of achievement peeling off the chocolate does that sound sad? Sadly my rose leaves haven't done well in all this bad weather. Your cake looks fab too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have turned out brilliantly. I tried making chocolate leaves many moons ago but they were a complete disaster! You have inspired me to give it another go because they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent, excellent tutorial, fab!... they look stunning... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous and so appropriate with this leafy Autumn season upon us! That really looks like a cake to savour and the icing against the dark chocolate is stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! Im totally inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look gorgeous against the orange buttercream! Thanks for the tips - it's helpful to know how you did them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mint leaves work well and if you coat both sides of the leaf you end up with an edible mint chocolate treat :) Not actually tried it, I have to admit, but Rachel Allen did it on her program Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I've never tried making them but they are on my list of things to try. Definitely a very pretty and effective decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chocolate leaves are so pretty and look lovely on your cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea...and like that you can use Camellia - if you could find a Camellia Sinensis, you could have chocolate tea leaves, with your cuppa and cake. Better than a chocoloate teapot:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so book marking this for future reference! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura! Just wanted to say I found this post so helpful when I was looking for a nice way to decorate a chocolate cake. It was a lot of fun painting my leaves :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!