Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Jaffa Cupcakes

I think I'm yet to meet anyone in life who doesn't like Jaffa Cakes...and as to whether Jaffas are a biscuit or a cake...in this case they're most definitely a cake. If you're interested, apparently the difference between a biscuit and a cake is that cakes go hard when they're stale and biscuits go soft! McVities claim that Jaffa Cakes are indeed cakes...the reason they are keen to define them as such is that you don't have to pay VAT on cakes!

I used the vanilla cupcake recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery's new book 'Home Sweet Home'. It is a great recipe that I've used before and it gives a lovely soft and moist sponge. You can find the recipe here but this version is slightly different from the one in the new book. I've found previously with this recipe that the cakes actually taste better the next day after they're made.
As you can see from the pictures, the cupcakes also have a hidden centre. Once cooled, a little piece of cake was cored out from the centre of each cupcake and then filled with marmalade. I used Robertson's Golden Shredless and it really did taste like the centre of a jaffa cake!
As already mentioned the recipe for these Jaffa Cupcakes is from the new book by the Hummingbird Bakery 'Home Sweet Home'. If you'd like to know more about the book you can read my recent review here.
The icing is chocolate buttercream made with 450g icing sugar, 60g cocoa powder, 150g unsalted butter and 60ml of whole milk. All the ingredients bar the milk are mixed together until there are no large lumps of butter left and then the milk is added in gradually. This is a lovely light icing as there is comparatively less butter than usual and the milk loosens it up.
These cupcakes were easy to make and look cute with the mini Jaffa on top. They were also very tasty and I'd definitely make them again!

I'm entering my Jaffa Cupcakes into this month's Tea Time Treats challenge which is hosted alternately by Kate from at What Kate Baked and Karen at Lavender and Lovage, this month it's Kate's turn. The theme for April is Fairy Cakes, Cupcakes and Muffins.

13 comments:

  1. Those look and sound sooo yummy! Great job :-)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little bit in love with your cupcakes. They look stunning! Bring on the Jaffa madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew there was no vat on cakes. You learn something new everyday!

    Your cupcakes look jaffa-tastic. Love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy, it's strange as well as I was thinking about baking with jaffa cakes the other day! Chocolate and orange is a fantastic combo and I like the idea of using milk in the buttercream - will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,

    I love Jaffa Cakes and these look fantastic! I love the mini Jaffa Cake on top and marmalade centre.

    Have you ever had a Jaffa Cake cocktail? It's Tia Maria topped up with fresh orange juice, and it's absolutely divine! Very dangerous though as it goes down too easily...

    Your cakes are always stunning and I really enjoy reading your blog :)

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award - I hope you'll take part!

    Kate

    Cakes and Bakes by Kate - The Liebster Award

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo, I think the rate of VAT on various foodstuffs varies. I think a lot of food has no VAT but some do, including biscuits covered in chocolate which are considered luxury items and therefore attract VAT which is why McVities don't want to be classfied as such!! Not an expert but think it's something along those lines :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cupcakes...would you think less of me if I confessed to not liking jaffa cakes? I can't cope with chocolate and orange together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can it be possible that someone doesn't like Jaffa Cakes??? Is that why you keep your identity underwraps Caked Crusader! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like jaffa cakes at all! Not really sure why... I think its the jelly layer that weirds me out! A lovely recipe though and these cupcakes look so pretty. I absolutely love your blog x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and my favourite flavour combination too! THANKS so much for entering Tea Time Treats with these little beauties! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really unique take on a classic biscuit and cupcakes. Lovely pictures as usual x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I at risk of losing a follower if I admit I don't like jaffa cakes...?! Not sure why- I love chocolate, orange and cake so they should be all kinds of amazing but there's something about the orangy bit that turns me! That aside, these do look like lovely cupcakes and the mini jaffas are cute! The cases are just perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it a cake... a biscuit...a cake.... Ah, well, THE most important thing thing is Jaffa Cakes are mighty tasty, and the perfect basis for a super Cupcake recipe- thank you for the TTT entry Laura!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!