Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fondant Fancies

 
Since Fondant Fancies appeared on the Great British Bake Off they've been all the rage. On the show John, Brendan and James found them somewhat trickier than you would imagine and ended up with some rather sad looking fancies.

Home bakers have since taken up the challenge, and recipes and how-to guides have appeared in magazines and on TV. I've also seen a number of courses teaching the secrets of a perfect fondant fancy. One such course is run by Cakes 4 Fun which I attended this weekend.
On the course we learnt how to cut our squares evenly and add the marzipan on top, adhering it with a layer of apricot jam. These fancies don't have buttercream but you could add it if you wanted to.
The secret to preventing the fancies breaking up upon covering is to freeze them for at least an hour and a half beforehand. To cover the fancies, each one was speared with a chocolate dipping fork, usually used for covering truffles, before being dipped in runny fondant icing. You can use Squires Kitchen Fondant Icing Mix which works perfectly. As we discovered there is quite a knack to dipping and covering which takes quite a bit of practise.
To add a little something extra to our fancies we used decorative moulds such as these from Squires Kitchen to make the pretty little cakes, teacups and teapots on top. We also used a mould to make the style of rose on the right below, however you can also hand roll roses, such as the one on the left below.
As always with Cakes 4 Fun, this was a fabulous class which has given me the confidence to try fondant fancies at home. The staff are extremely knowledgeable and are happy to help. Above is only a taster of what we learnt on the course as I don't want to share too much. If you'd like to learn more I'd thoroughly recommend attending!
 

In the video below you can see Mary Berry explaining how to make Fondant Fancies, however she used a different method to the one we used. She covers her sides in buttercream and adds the little blob of buttercream on the top. In addition, Mary's fancies are refrigerated and not frozen. She also melts down sugarpaste to make her fondant for covering.
Finally, I'm going to try and sneak these into this month's Calendar Cakes Challenge. Rachel over at Dolly Bakes is hosting in April and you'll find the latest challenge posted here at Laura Loves Cakes on May 1st. The theme this month is The Great Village Show and British baking institutions. I know, I know...I can already hear the outcry...fondant fancies didn't originate in Britain. But I rather think of them as a bit of a British institution, admittedly I'm probably thinking of the Mr. Kipling kind, however since they were first introduced in 1967 they have quietly infilrated society and can be found in many a fine establishment purveying that most British of traditions...afternoon tea.
 
In addition, fondant fancies were voted as one of the top foods Britain's miss when they move abroad and furthermore during the Queen's jubilee someone even made a portrait of her using these sweet treats. I for one would be delighted if I found fancies gracing my local village show. I hope I've convinced you but if you think otherwise, feel free to leave a comment! ;-)

16 comments:

  1. I do love fondant fancies - memories of my childhood come flooding back whenever I think about them. If they were Mr Kipling's, I always had to have the lemon yellow one.

    These look really great Laura - very professional. And I love the posts you do about the courses you attend - really informative if they do make me a little envious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susie! My favourite Mr. Kipling is definitely the pink one! Re courses...I have to confess to a little bit of an addiction, I've got a couple more lined up but after that I think I need to try and go cold turkey for a couple of months as I don't think my bank balance really appreciates them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - didn't they come out well? And I love the decoration.
    I was always rather partial to a Mr Kipling FF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love fondant fancies. Yours look brilliant (so smooth!) and I like all your different toppers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh these are just so cute. I love fondant fancies! So beautiful.. Almost too cute to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your Fondant Fancies look amazing and I really want to eat one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Camilla was right - really glad she shared it on twitter (though I do follow you - just saw it faster this way!)
    Can I have a virtual one too?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's winging it's way to you as we speak! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want a virtual one too!! I was planning to try these for a challenge recently but never got round to it. You've inspired me again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These fondant fancies look great. Lovely colours and decorations.

    Stacey xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are the best looking fondant fancies I've ever seen! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Laura! These are gorgeous! I love Fondant Fancies. They always make me feel very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow those are sooo cool! They look beautiful and sound delicious. Great job Laura!

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Firstly, well done for getting all that icing dipped so neatly. And secondly -wow, the toppings!! Beautiful blogging as always.
    Eleanor xx
    coffeewithcroissants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a clearly talented cake decorator. This is gorgeous Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like I always have to be the one that brings down the mood by not liking something that's popular, but I don't like FF's either! I always wanted to like them so much, as they looked so pretty, but I think it must have been the marzipan that I didn't like. Yours do look beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!