Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Birthday Cake for Horse Lovers...

Need a cake for a young horse riding fan? This could be the one for you!


It's a sponge cake with buttercream and jam which was then covered in Regal Ice Celebration. The horse and the board are covered in celebration which was coloured with Dark Brown and Chestnut pastes. The mane is Teddy Bear Brown and the reins are M&B Dark Brown.

To make the picket fence around the side I used a fab wood grain effect impression mat (below). Once you've rolled your paste out pop the mat on top and then roll over it...it leaves a great wood grain effect, complete with knots!! You can use the wood grain for all sorts of things from garden sheds to pirate ships! Finally, I used the lower case Tappits set to add the writing. Result, a cute cake that is not too difficult to make.



7 comments:

  1. Wow this looks amazing!! Now I can see the tappits in action :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Tappits are good but they can be very frustrating when the paste won't come out... they should call them whack-its instead. Last time I whacked so hard I broke my 'K'... so if anyone with a K in their name wants a birthday cake, they can't have one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant! Did you use a template to cut out the horse's head? I've not really tried to colour sugarpaste before so can you tell me more about the pastes you used - do you buy brown sugarpaste or buy colouring and use it with white?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline,

    I did use a template for the horse's head... I just found one on the internet and then enlarged it on the photocopier to the size I wanted.

    Colouring paste is really easy... you can obviously buy pre-coloured but if they don't quite have the colour you want, you can either mix two colours or add white to lighten it or alternatively if you start with white or cream sugarpaste, you can add colour pastes which you can buy in little pots and then mix the colour you want. So the horse's head was just cream with Dark Brown and Chestnut pastes mixed in!Squires Kitchen make a lot of paste colours and a company called Sugarflair.

    Hope this helps! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      My friend has asked me to make this cake for her sons birthday but I can't find any horse head templates similar to this - they are all fit 3D cakes. Can you please advise where you got your template from? Thanks Tina x

      Delete
  5. I came across this link where you get the delicious online cakes for any occassion place your order cakes in mumbai .

    cakes in mumbai

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!