Monday, December 24, 2012

3D Cookie Christmas Tree

We're nearly there...it's Christmas Eve and I can't wait for the big day. Here is my final bake before Christmas...a 3D Cookie Christmas Tree. I bought these cookie cutters last year but never got round to making a tree but I'm really glad I made it this year, as it turned out even better than I expected. The cutters are from Lakeland, I've seen them in store this year but can't find them online.
The tree was fairly simple to make, although it was rather time consuming. If you buy the Lakeland cutters it comes with a recipe for a vanilla cookie dough and it is in the right proportions to make all 20 of the cookies. However, you could use any cookie recipe you like, such as this one (although you might have to make double) and you could also make any flavour...maybe spiced or orange for Christmas!
 
This bake was time consuming as you have to chill your dough and I also cooked the trays of cookies one at a time and there were 4 trays. As with any cookies it is also advisable to put them back in the fridge once you've stamped out the shape as this firms them up again and stops them spreading in the oven. If you don't have the Lakeland cutters you could easily still make a cookie tree if you have an assortment of different sized star cutters.
Once all the cookies were cooled I used green sugarpaste and used the cookie cutters to stamp out the paste to top each cookie. It's the little star on top of the tree that makes this bake. It's covered in white sugarpaste and then given a liberal brush over with edible glue before sprinkling with edible glitter, it really does sparkle.
To assemble I covered a small cake board with white sugarpaste and finished with a Christmassy red ribbon. This was then the base upon which to build my tree. I put just a little royal icing between each layer to keep it together and the direction of each cookie was alternated to give the tree effect.
The finishing touches were the large silver balls or dragees on each corner of the star to represent the Christmas decorations and then a final spray with silver lustre dust to add some festive sparkle. This would make a lovely Christmas gift and youngsters would love it!
 
I'm entering my 3D Cookie Christmas Tree into this month's Calendar Cakes where the theme is 'Go Crackers for Christmas'. This month's host is Rachel over at Dolly Bakes and we host alternately. Check out Rachel's blog for more details...we'd love for you to join us!
So all that remains is for me to wish you a very Merry Christmas!

17 comments:

  1. I have that set of cutters but don't remember my tree looking quite so neat and smart as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cookie tree Laura - the star really does make it. Happy Christmas! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks spectacular! I've always fancied a set (hey Santa, are you listening?!) Happy Christmas Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cookie Christmas tree! Very neat and beautiful. Merry Christmas, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree looks absolutely perfect Laura. I'm sure it'll be very popular tomorrow. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful cookie Christmas tree!! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Laura! This tree looks amazing!! I have to make one next year - it's been on my to bake list for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at all that amazing food and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful tree. I have a set of smaller star shaped cutters and made a couple of mini trees last year, didn't get round to it this time though. Might have to see if Lakeland have any sets left in the sales! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness me. This is pure art! It is just stunning this tree. Well done you!
    Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous Laura! I am in awe of how even all your stars and icing are. Mine would end up as a toppling jenga as my biscuits never end up the same thickness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas Laura! This is so lovely & stunning! Well done Laura! Enjoy the holiday season ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning!! Love the star on top.
    Merry Christmas Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! Lovely tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so amazing! I love the sparkly gold star on the top, even though it took a long time it was definitely worth the effort! Hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks brilliant, I love it! Who was lucky enough to eat it?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous, I will make this exactly one for my Christmas table and take the picture to post it in here

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!