Feeling a bit bored today? Why not try my new game...'Spot the Cake'...what do you mean it's not that difficult!?!
The mud cake was made as a large square cake which I cut into layers and then used a cutter to give several large circles which were stacked on top of each other and sandwiched with buttercream. I then carved into the cake to give the tapered flowerpot effect. Next the whole thing was coated in buttercream before covering with paste (teddy bear brown with a little orange paste and some red colour to give the terracotta colour).
The pots were covered upside down and then turned upright, to cover the top a large circle of dark brown paste was stuck on and finally a strip of the terracotta to give the flowerpot effect.
Lavender and Lovage and Kate at What Kate Baked, check out their blogs to find out more.
For the leaves I just cut out circles of green paste and pinched each end into a point...simples!
To make the purple blossoms, I used a blossom cutter and impression mould to add detail and then dusted with African Violet to add depth. The leaves were made using a PME plunge cutter and veiner...and the finishing touch, three dots of yellow royal icing piped into the centre of each flower.
#caking...they'd fit right in! :-)