Top tips for making macaroons:
- When heating your sugar and water make sure you use a heavy based saucepan and have a thermometre on hand as the temperatures need to be very precise.
- Mark out circles on your greaseproof paper using a circular cutter as a guide to give your macaroons a uniform size. Don't forget to turn your paper over to use it, otherwise the pencil will come off on the macaroons!
- To pipe, don't try to go round in a circle. Just hold the nozzle still and pipe, the shape will form on it's own. When you reach the edges of your circle template, stop putting pressure on the piping bag and quickly swirl the nozzle to avoid a peak. This can be achieved with a flick of the wrist.
- When you have finished piping your macaroons, tap the tray on the counter top to get rid of any ridges or peaks.
- Once piped, leave your macaroons for around 30 minutes before putting them in the oven. They should form a skin over the top.
- Finally, whilst cooking your macaroon should grow in size and a little foot should develop around the base of each macaroon as you can see above.